Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Hola from Pucallpa!

Hola from Pucallpa! (My first area)
I am now all settled into my first area in Pucallpa Peru. I love being here so much. Im so glad that Im in the jungle and not in the city. My first day in Iquitos I stayed the night with another companionship because my flight was the next day and it was fun to just enjoy the city of Iquitos for a little bit. I went to breakfast with the Hermanas I was staying with and we had a potatoes thing wrapped around an egg!! I didnt like it very much but it was fun to try a new food. Here in Peru people know how to use their potatos... and the chicken... and rice.haha!
Travelling to Pucallpa was a little crazy. I had a few minutes to pack my bag and then I was given 10 soles, the address of the airport, and asked to get me and another sister to the airport. It was raining a ton and I dont know spanish very well but we managed to get a motokar to the airport. When we got the the sister I was with got on her flight and I was left a lone missionary in the small Iquitos airport to wait for the Elders to come. So, I did as any good missionary would do and I talked to everyone! I gave out a few pass along carde, used my spanish, and taught a lady a whole lesson on the plan of salvation. When I looked up, I saw a group of Elders just watvhing me teach. They were so proud of me haha! I just love talking to people. 
The flight to Pucallpa was beautiful. We flew over ons of rainforest, the river, and at the edge of it all is the beautiful city of Pucallpa. I have so pictures from the flight but I was just so excited to get to my mission. When we lamded the music of the jungle started playing and it was just perfect!
Its a little less hot that Iquitos in Pucallpa but its still really humid and the people here speak a different sing-song version of spanish so Im learning how to understand them. The houses are made of cement and old wood mostly and most of the time they only have 1-2 rooms. My first day here my heart broke because of how little these people have, but even with so little they are so happy and so ready to hear the gospel. 
My new companion is Herman Prince from Arizona and I am her first gringa (American) companion and the first person she has ever trained. This is also her last transfer in the mission so she has a lot of changes happening right now. She´s so sweet and Im so excited to be teaching with her. The work here is great. We have a baptism set fo April with Lucero who is the coolest lady in the world. She has cancer and has close to nothing. She is getting married, baptized, and having a baby shower all on the same day! She amazes me!
This week we also found a golden family. They had one lesson with us and already want to be baptized. And theyre already married!!! Which is super rare in Peru. Were hoping to get them ready for april which means well have three baptisms in april. I love everyone here so much. 
The people here have so much faith in Jesus Christ and they only have part of the story. Its so fun to share the restored gospel with them and help them know more about Christ. I know that he is our savior and that he can help us through any challenge we have in our lives. He loves us so much and he wants us to be happy. I want to invite everyone to start building a relationship with Jesus Christ. Also, womens conference was all about Jesus Christ so watch it! And dont forget about general conference. Its going to be great. 2 Nephi 25:26.
I love you all so very much!
Con Amor, 
Hermana Toponce






Family letter:  My oh my I love you all so much! I am doing really good. The first day here was really hard because the language is a totally different spanish so I was frustrated that I didnt know what was goign on at all, but Im doing a lot better now. I still dont understand anyone, but Im sure I will at some point! Im safe from flooding. Its been raining a lot but the rain doesnt effect here very much because it always rains. Our house is so much nicer than other peoples homes here and it makes me feel bad, but Im glad that they treat the sister missionaries really nicely. We have a four room apartment with a bathroom and its realy clean. We have spiders occasionally that are pretty big but im used to them now1 They dont bite either. They just eat the bugs that do. Im really healthy which is good. We only have a pensionista for lunch her name is Rubi and she makes delcicios food. We make our own breakfast and dinner... Cereal!!! They have  milk here and it makes me so happy. One funny story from this week. Everyonce greets eachother with akiss here and I forgot about the rule that men cant greet me with a kiss so one gut gave me akiss on the cheek and Hermana Prince freaked out. I wont forget that rule again. Ive never kissed so many people in my life. Its going to take some getting used to.
Im sorry to hear that everyone had a cold. I hope you all get feeling better soon. Being sick is no fun! I hope things are going well at work for everyone. Keep me posted on that. Hallie you looked SO So beautiful for prom. Im glad I got a picture. I hope it was fun for you. How is soccer going this season? How is the ward doin? How are our friends? I love oyu all so much and I hope you have a fantastic week!! Keep prayin and working hard and everything will work out how its supposed to :)
Con Amor, 
Hermana Toponce





No comments:

Post a Comment