Monday, April 3, 2017

There is Sunshine in My Soul Today

Hello everyone! Its summertime here in pucallpa and Ive never experienced more heat in my life.! Even when the sun isnt out its hot. Its definitely going to take some getting used to and a lot of sunscreen! haha! I thought the subject of the email was appropriate to go along with my feelings.
I cant believe that Im already dont with my second wek here. Time is so weird on a mission. We worked a lot this week to get everything done for Luceros baptism on the 8th. We are so excited for her! She has so much going on in her life and were glad that getting baptised is one of those things :)
I got to use a machete for the first time in my life this week! We did service for our pensionista Rubi and cut her weeds... WITH A MACHETE! It was so much work but it felt really good to do service. One thing I learned is that Ill never ciomplain about weeding at home again. Its nothing compared to jungle weeding!
They take their dreams really seriously here. People tell us their weird dreams all the time hoping we can tell them what they mean and its really funny. The people also believe a lot of myths. Theres a story that the pink dolphins in the river take girls and turn them into mermaids so they totally believe that there are mermaids in the amazon river! I love learning about the culture of the jungle. 
I had a few special experiences this week. We got to visit a less active member named Cynthia. She is a sweet lady and she loves the gospel but her husband isnt interested anymore and its breaking her heart because she wants whats best for her family. She wants to live the gospel so badly but its causing contention between her and her husband. During our lesson with her, I felt the spirit so strongly telling me that I needed to talk about agancy and share my favorite scripture (Alma 37:6-7) When I did this, there was a stilness in the room and we both started to cry because we were touched by the spirit. I never want to forget this special moment. Everyone has challenges, weaknesses, and doubts but HEavenly FAther knows us so well and knows exactly what we need to grow. He also lovs us so much that he provided us with a Savior who experienced every one of those weaknesses and challenges so we can overcome them. If christ could overcome the pains of the whole world, we can overcome anything with his help. My second special experience was during the saturday afternoon session of conference. I went into conference with a lot of questions and as soon as I started thinking about a specific question, Elder Holland started speaking. I hear people say all the time, "THat talk was for me!" and I didnt elieve them until I had that experience when he started talking. I knew it was an answer to my prayers. He talked about the Hymn there is sunshine in my soul today and a specific line that says, "Jesus listening can hear the songs I cannot sing." He focused on this line because some days are just hard and we really dont feel like singing. He then related to church to a choir (my favorite thing in the world) and said that every voice in the choir is important, unique, and irreplaceable. I just felt such a reassurance that the work Im doing is important nd that Christ really does need MY voice to help share his gospel. 
I am so grateful for the opportunity to recieve guidance from the leaders of the church every six months. Heavenly Father really does answer prayers :)
I love you all with all of my heart. You are in my prayers!
Have a lovely lovely week!
Con Amor, 
Hermana Toponce




No comments:

Post a Comment